Choosing the rope to meet your fitness goals is essential once you have decided to opt for a rope fitness routine. It is necessary to understand the positives and negatives of the fitness accessories you select.
Weighted jump ropes are excellent at developing upper body strength and improving upper and lower body balance and coordination. Skipping rope is one of the oldest training tools that help you in all your training programs and goals.
In this blog post, we will dive deeper and understand the difference between jump rope and speed rope to determine which option suits your fitness goals.
What is a Jump Rope?
A jump rope is common workout equipment frequently used by those who are interested in getting in shape while improving their cardiorespiratory system. It’s considered to be more effective than running because your upper and lower body are in conjunction. They are usually believed to be best for casual exercisers, fitness enthusiasts, and athletes.
Types of Jump Rope
Choose a jump rope that suits you the best.
- Basic Jump Rope: Basic jump rope is ideal for beginners. It is low-priced equipment and quite simple, also making it a suitable choice if you plan on using it indoors on a hard surface.
- Speed Jump Rope: Speed jump ropes have smaller handles and are lightweight. It is a good option for you if you wish to increase your speed.
- Weighted Jump Rope: As the name explains, a weighted jump rope is heavier than a standard rope. It is filled with sand or beads. It helps you burn more calories.
- Beaded Jump Rope: It is quite similar to the weighted jump rope. However, the weight of the beaded jump rope is evenly distributed making it easy to control and less prone to get tangled.
- Leather Jump Rope: It is a durable piece of equipment that will surely last a long time.
Multipurpose Adjustable Rope for Kids & Adults
Non Slip Alloy Handle & Tangle Free Adjustable Steel Rope
Adjustable 9ft Non-Slip NBR Foam Soft Handles PVC Cord
Benefits of Jumping Rope
Weight loss is not the only benefit of jumping rope. Here are some of the benefits of jumping rope mentioned below:
- Efficient Cardio: Jumping rope gets your heart rate up quickly, making it an effective cardio workout option. It involves many muscles working at once. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) incorporating a jump rope workout gets you the same benefit as moderate-intensity activity in half the time.
- Strengthens Muscles: Jumping rope relies on your upper and lower body muscles. It is a full-body workout that improves muscle strength and allows your muscles to exercise for a more extended period. It improves coordination and balance which increases your explosive power for quick and sudden movements.
- Stronger Bones: Jumping ropes healthily stresses the bones and makes them stronger. An Olympic Swimmer Study reported a significant increase in bone mineral density of the femoral neck (top of your femur, part of thigh bone) and lumbar spine (lower back) of the swimmer after participating in 20 minutes of jump rope, twice a week.
Best Jump Rope for Beginners
Usually, people make the mistake of buying a cheap PVC rope available at any departmental store. The problem with that is, that a lightweight rope makes it very difficult to master the skill for beginners. You cannot feel the rope rotate around your body hence making it difficult to time your jumps.
Skip the inexpensive plastic rope and instead buy a slightly weighted rope. The perks of using a weighted rope are that it will help you lose weight and train properly. It will allow you to feel the rope and precisely time your jumps.
AQF Skipping Rope For Beginners
Kids & Adults, Outdoor & Indoor Use
What is a Speed Rope?
Speed ropes are very thin and have thin PVC plastic cords. It is a fast jump rope. The bearings allow for much more precise timed rotations. Speed ropes were specifically designed for competitions. Higher-quality speed ropes are made of aerospace-grade aluminium, it also contains 1 or 2 precision bearings per handle. The speed rope weighs about 1 ounce.
A common misconception is that because speed ropes are fast so they must produce more intensity during exercises such as CrossFit workouts. Well, that’s not the case it’s the opposite! Once you have perfected your jump rope skills you can learn to speed rope. Speed rope helps you improve your agility and stamina.
Benefits of Speed Rope
Adding speed rope exercise to your workout routine can have many benefits, a few of them are mentioned below:
- Strengthens your lower leg muscles: Many exercises focused on strengthening the lower leg muscles can lead to some injuries, however, speed rope exercises avoid issues like muscle tightness by enhancing elasticity within your legs.
- Enhances breathing and cardiovascular health: A 10-minute speed jump rope workout session, three times a week will improve your lung and heart health. It lowers the risks of heart disease and other heart conditions. You can notice a visible improvement in your breathing and overall stamina.
- Stimulates brain activity and eliminates stress: A speed rope workout has an amazing effect on the brain, when jumping our brain releases endorphins, which help reduce stress and anxiety levels. It also helps you learn new skills such as spatial awareness.
AQF Adjustable 9ft Non-Slip NBR Foam Soft Handles PVC Cord Skipping Rope
Increase the heart rate, burn calories, enhance coordination with our super-lightweight speed rope
Ropes are a versatile addition to workout equipment as they can be used with different training routines. Speed Ropes help athletes to enhance their performance and undoubtedly it is one of the reasons, that speed ropes are so famous. Jumping rope may at a glance look like a child’s game, however, it is an excellent cardio workout. It is considered to be a complete package as it is a full-body workout. Based on your fitness goals & skill level both ropes can prove extremely helpful to achieve the target.